英文用語分享Part1



iron out (達成相互之協議、互相解決問題)

-> means to reach a mutual agreement , or mutually resolve some difficulties.

I spoke to client yesterday, now we just need to iron out a few problems with the project
before we proceed with the next one.


cut back on  (戒除)

-> If we cut back on something , we do it less.

I need to cut back on cigarettes.

I need to cut back on fastfood.

You should really cut back on junk food , it's very unhealthy.

I'm trying to cut back on coffee. Recently I've been drinking 8 cups a day.


Act like 表現地像... / 行為舉動像.....

To act like is to behave in a way that _________(it depends on the situation).


Rob was acting like a complete idiot today. He picked up(lift up) our colleague in the middle of the office, I don't understand why.


Don't act like you're interested in someone if you're not. You shouldn't play games with someone's feelings.


Jack: I don't want to go to cram school, it's boring. I want to go to the park and play football.
Alice: You're acting like a child Jack. You only have to go to cram school for one hour then you have the whole day to do whatever you want.

Act up 失常故障、舉止失禮

If people (typically children) act up, they misbehave

If a machine acts up(car , computer, equipment) it doesn't work properly.


My students were so naughty today. They were acting up all afternoon,
but I suppose they're only children.

My daughter has been acting up all day. I don't know why she's being so difficult.


Tom: What's wrong with this computer? It's being so slow.
Alice: I don't know, it's been acting up all morning. Maybe you should restart it and see if that helps.

Oh! My goodness!! My car is acting up and I don't know why.


Add up 不合常理、邏輯的 / 事情有點不對勁

We usually use add up in a negative way.
If something doesn't 'add up'  , means that it doesn't make sense.

Hmm.. , this doesn't really add up.


Rob's story about Saturday night doesn't add up. He says he stayed at home,
but his wife says he was out at the cinema(戲院/歌劇院).

Why are our clients angry? I spoke to them an hour ago and they were very happy.
Something doesn't add up.


Tom: David's theory seems crazy.
Alice: Yes but his research adds up.

--->His research proves his theory.


Ask out 邀約

If you ask someone out, you ask them for a date.

John really likes Emily, he wants to ask her out.

Have you ever asked out a colleague before?
I don't know if it's a good idea, it could be awkward
if they say 'no'.

Tom: Is it true Peter asked  you out last night?
Alice: Yes it is. But before you start to get jealous, he had no idea
I was married so please just forget about it.


Back down 駁回原先之提案

If someone backs down it means they don't follow through with an original threat or proposal.

I'll call the police.  -->  Ok , I won't call the police.

My neighbor told me he would call the police but in the end he backed down.
We managed to(設法去進行...) sort out(整理挑出) our differences.

I wanted to appeal against(提出上訴) my parking ticket(罰單)
but eventually I decided to back down.
The process is too stressful(緊張壓力大的).

Tom: I'm going to report my colleague for drinking alcohol in the office.
He's excellent at his job but it's unacceptable behavior.

Alice: I think you should back down Tom, if he's doing a good job then just
forget about it. If he does it again, then you can report him.












留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

經得起原始碼資安弱點掃描的程式設計習慣培養(五)_Missing HSTS Header

經得起原始碼資安弱點掃描的程式設計習慣培養(三)_7.Cross Site Scripting(XSS)_Stored XSS_Reflected XSS All Clients

(2021年度)駕訓學科筆試準備題庫歸納分析_法規是非題